Lots of things in your home can impact your energy use. Saving on your next electric bill will make your bank account happy. But, saving the earth one step at a time is priceless!
- Unplug! – the average American household has 40 products that are constantly plugged in, draining electricity that accounts for as much as 10% of our household energy use
- Wash clothes in cold water – about 75% of the greenhouse gas emissions from a single load of laundry are from the heating of the water and studies have shown washing in cold is often just as effective
- Change some bulbs – replacing just one incandescent bulb in every American home would save enough energy to provide electricity to 3 million American homes (EPA)
- Program the temp – get a programmable thermostat and change the temperature when you’re not at home or while you’re sleeping
- Change the temp – instead of turning up the heat two degrees, just throw on your favorite sweatshirt or cover up with a blanket